Terms and Conditions
BY MAKING ANY SUBMISSIONS VIA THIS SITE YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY SUBMISSIONS TO VOLVO CARS.
OUR APPROACH TO OPEN INNOVATION
Volvo Cars and its subsidiaries and affiliates ("Volvo Cars") believes in hearing open innovation opportunities from the public. We also welcome suggestions regarding our products and services from our valuable customers. It is our policy, however, not to accept any unsolicited ideas, suggestions, and proposals on a confidential or trade-secret basis. Volvo Cars cannot agree to hold ideas or any related materials in confidence because: (a) it may be helpful to disclose the idea to others for evaluation, (b) Volvo Cars or its customers or other parties working with Volvo Cars may already know of or be considering the idea (or a concept very similar to the idea), or (c) the idea may be available in the public domain. Therefore, it is understood and agreed that no employee of Volvo Cars has the authority to accept any proposal under any obligations of confidentiality, non-disclosure, or non-use. In addition, Volvo Cars does not provide compensation for any such unsolicited submissions. This policy is to avoid any misunderstandings if Volvo Cars decides to use any customer idea to improve our products or services.
Volvo Cars will not consider any ideas or suggestions for vehicle interior/exterior designs, advertising or marketing ideas or campaigns, business or sales methodologies, product names, slogans, logos, brands, trademarks or similar items.
Due to the volume of unsolicited ideas we receive, Volvo Cars please ask that you understand that we cannot respond to each and every submission, although they are appreciated.
PLEASE NOTE: These Terms and Conditions make a distinction between “Ideas” and “Inventions.” Before making any submissions to Volvo Cars, please think carefully to decide if you: (a) have a high-level idea or concept for our products and services, with little to no implementation details (i.e., an “Idea”); or (b) are in possession of a non-trade secret invention, complete with implementation details such that the invention is or can be reduced to practice (i.e., an “Invention”). Oftentimes, a mere Idea is not valuable until a significant amount of time and money is invested to transform it into an actual Invention.
SPECIFIC TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR IDEA SUBMISSIONS
1. You may provide Volvo Cars with requests, suggestions and other feedback related to Volvo Cars’ products or services. Your submission and its contents and materials shall become the property of Volvo Cars.
2. Volvo Cars may copy, make, have made, use, sell, transmit, import, distribute, or prepare derivatives of your submission and any of its contents for any purpose in any way, including but not limited to using it in new Volvo Cars’ products or services, or to improve existing Volvo Cars’ products or services, without any liability or payment of any kind to you.
3. You hereby grant to Volvo Cars and its successor and assigns a transferable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right and license to reproduce and use your submission for any lawful purpose. You are giving up all copyright and other intellectual and industrial property right claims you may have against Volvo Cars for copying, disclosing, evaluating or otherwise using your Idea per these Terms and Conditions.
SPECIFIC TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR INVENTION SUBMISSIONS
4. Volvo Cars respects the intellectual property rights of others and does not wish to misappropriate the inventions of others. Therefore, Volvo Cars will only consider inventions that are already protected through a patent or patent application. If applications or registrations for patents have been filed, you may submit only such applications and registrations, including the serial number, the date of application or registration, the date of publication, and a copy of the filed application and/or certificate of issuance, if applicable.
5. You understand and agree that Volvo Cars retains the full right to contest the validity, enforceability, or infringement of any intellectual property right relating to any submission and that your sole remedy shall be to seek direct damages in an action brought under applicable laws. The preceding sentence shall not, however, be deemed to modify or diminish Volvo Car’s rights under these Terms and Conditions.
6. You understand and agree that these Terms and Conditions contemplate no promise to compensate you and that no agreement to compensate you shall be implied from Volvo Cars' consideration or review of the Invention or from failure of Volvo Cars to respond to such submission. If, for any reason, you are not interested in receiving any payment for your Invention, please make that clear in your submission.
7. If Volvo Cars determines in its sole discretion that any particular Invention submitted is of interest, then Volvo Cars may, in its sole discretion, enter into negotiations with you to arrive at a mutually satisfactory licensing arrangement.
8. You understand and agree, however, that Volvo Cars is not obligated to pay any compensation whatsoever, absent a written contract for the use of any Invention.
9. If no written agreement for the use of the Invention is entered into, and you believe Volvo Cars has unfairly adopted the Invention, you understand and agree that the sole remedy shall be an action under the applicable patent laws.
10. You will not be compensated for ideas developed by Volvo Cars independent of the Invention you submit to Volvo Cars.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO IDEA AND INVENTION SUBMISSIONS
11. In making this submission, you understand and agree that Volvo Cars has NO obligation to:
a. acknowledge, review or respond to your submission;
b. keep your submission confidential;
c. give the submission any consideration (and will give it only such consideration as Volvo Cars deems, in its sole discretion, appropriate); and
d. reveal the degree of consideration it may have given a submission, or to state any reason for rejection, to return any material to you or to destroy any materials you submit.
12. In making this submission, you understand and agree that:
a. You must be at least 18 years old;
b. You must NOT be a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria or the Crimea region of Ukraine;
c. You will only provide materials to us in the English language (or certified English translations of any non-English patent documents);
d. You are the sole and exclusive owner of the submission, that you have no obligations to any other party related to it, that you have the legal right and authority to make the submission,
and negotiate with Volvo Cars concerning the submission, and that the submission does not include the confidential information, proprietary know-how, trade secrets, or other intellectual property of another party;
e. You are not violating any applicable laws or regulations, including those relating to export controls, by making this submission given that it may be distributed to several countries as it is processed by Volvo Cars; and
g. You hereby fully release Volvo Cars, its customers, officers, directors, employees, agents and affiliates from any liability in connection with the receipt, review, consideration and/or use of the submission in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
13. No waiver or change to these Terms and Conditions will have any force or effect unless made in writing and signed both by you and by an authorized representative of Volvo Cars.
14. These Terms and Conditions represents the entire understanding between you and Volvo Cars with respect to any submission.
15. These Terms and Conditions form an agreement between you and Volvo Cars, which shall be deemed to have been made and shall be governed by the internal laws of the State of New York, U.S.A., except for patents, which shall be governed by and under the applicable patent laws. You hereby consent irrevocably to the venue and jurisdiction of any court of competent jurisdiction in New York County, New York, U.S.A. and WAIVE ANY RIGHT TO JURY TRIAL.
16. If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is held by a court to be unlawful and unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.